MEFL and Council have come together to launch the Less Cups, Less Carbon project to tackle the issue of non-recyclable take away cups. More than three billion takeaway cups end up in landfill each year in Australia, most of which are take away coffee cups which cannot be recycled due to the plastic coating on the inside of the cup.
To reduce the amount of coffee cups ending up in landfill, MEFL and Council have teamed up with some local cafes to sell branded Moreland Zero Carbon KeepCups.
KeepCups cost just $16, with over $5 from each cup going towards local carbon reduction projects.
Participating cafes have also signed up to the Responsible Cafes network, which offers a discount to customers using a reusable cup.
Participating cafes are:
- Andre’s Cafe, 421 Sydney Rd Coburg
- Black Penguin Café, 90 Sussex Street, Pascoe Vale
- Carpenter’s Son, 1 Michael Street, Brunswick
- Gaffney Brew, 337 Gaffney St, Pascoe Vale
- Heaven Pizza, Gaffney Street, Coburg North
- Jack and Daisy, 152B Cumberland Rd, Pascoe Vale
- La Choukette, 318 Sydney Rd, Brunswick
- Mix Takeaway, 39 Williams Road, Coburg North
- Neruda’s, 210 Albion Street, Brunswick
- Northern Perk Café, 710 Sydney Road, Brunswick
- Smug Relish, 510 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
- The Cubby Cafe and Deli, 1 Merlyn St, Coburg North
- Toledo, 116 Albert Street, Brunswick East
- Two Little Pigs, 146 Sydney Rd, Brunswick
You can also purchase the Moreland Zero Carbon KeepCups from Council’s customer service centres at Brunswick, Coburg and Glenroy.
If you run a Moreland cafe or other outlet and are interested in stocking the special Moreland Zero Carbon KeepCups call Lucy on 9385 8526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.