Use an Electric Vehicle
Electric vehicles (EVs) operate using batteries instead of petrol or gas and produce no greenhouse gas emissions directly. Depending on the type of electricity used to recharge the battery (for example, 100% renewable electricity), these vehicles have the potential to operate with zero emissions.
Hybrid vehicles use both batteries and a fossil fuel. They usually do not require recharging with an external electricity supply as the battery is charged when the vehicle brakes however they still require petrol to operate.
EVs are becoming increasingly common and the infrastructure to support EV users continues to grow across the country.
What support is available for electric vehicle owners in Moreland?
Merri-bek is a leader in encouraging the uptake of zero emissions vehicles and the promotion of zero emissions transportation. Merri-bek City Council installed Victoria’s first EV fast charge station in 2013.
Merri-bek has a network of 16 publicly available electric vehicle charging stations which are powered by 100% zero emissions renewable energy from the Crowlands Wind Farm. Council provides community members who have an electric car with free charging stations to encourage wider uptake of zero emission modes of transport.
Where can I find an EV charging station?
Moreland’s EV charging stations are located at:
- Merri-bek Civic Centre EV Hub at 90 Bell Street, Coburg, comprising of three charging stations including Victoria’s first electric vehicle ‘Fast Charge’ station, which can recharge up to 300kms of driving range in an hour.
- Boundary Road Cul-De-Sac, cnr Boundary Road & Sydney Road, Coburg North where Council’s second DC ‘Fast Charge’ station is located.
- CB Smith Reserve, Jukes Road, Fawkner
- Brunswick Mechanics Institute at the David Street Car park near the corner of Glenlyon and Sydney Roads, Brunswick.
- Brunswick EV Hub at 13-15 Edward Street, Brunswick, which includes four charging bays and includes two new fast charge stations.
- Oak Park Sports & Aquatic Centre, 563a Pascoe Vale Road, Pascoe Vale comprising of three charging stations.
Electric bike charging
Electric bike recharging is also available at the Merri-bek Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg.